Top 5 Biggest Decorating Mistakes
Decorating is an exciting process. Picking new paint colors, window treatments, furniture and flooring in Carrollton is fun, but it’s easy to get carried away (or overwhelmed) by the abundance of options and choices found in showrooms. To make sure you love the finished product as much as you love all the ideas you have along the way, avoid these 5 common decorating don’ts in your refinished space.
- Don’t ignore your location. You may have enjoyed your Caribbean vacation, but overdone Caribbean flavor in a Texas home will feel awkward and out of place. Fill your home with keepsakes rather than trying to turn it into one. Instead, add subtle accents that remind you of the places you love.
- Don’t reach for the sky when hanging artwork. Paintings and other wall accents should be placed at eye level where you can enjoy them without getting a stiff neck. This also helps balance out the space without making the upper part of your home “top heavy”.
- Don’t be afraid to use the entire space. Furniture shouldn’t be pushed up against the walls around a room’s perimeter. Living rooms arranged in this manner tend to feel like doctor’s office waiting rooms. They lack intimacy and discourage conversation. Play around with furniture and use this as an opportunity to try something new.
- Don’t let clutter ruin your style. Clutter increases stress and makes even the largest spaces look ill-designed and uncomfortable. Good decor incorporates shelving, baskets, armoires and other clutter-hiders to keep what you need both handy and out of sight.
- Don’t decorate for the life you want. No one is judging you, so be honest about your lifestyle. Ditch the dream of installing white carpet and opt for tile flooring if you have kids or pets and buy washable, stain-resistant fabrics if you eat in front of the television. Be mindful of and accept your habits – a new couch or throw won’t change them.
As you embark on your renovation journey, take your time and weigh your options for all your new changes. You want to make sure the choices that you make are ones that match your preferences and lifestyle. And if you’re looking to update your home with new floors, stop by CMA Flooring. We have a wide selection of hardwood, tile, vinyl and laminate floors in Carrollton and have a team of design experts who can help you decide which material is right for you! To request free information or a consultation, call us at 972-418-6606 – we’re more than happy to help.