How to Refinish Hardwood Floors
Beautiful hardwood flooring makes a great addition to any home but it can require some upkeep and maintenance, just like any other type of flooring. One important step to maintaining the lustrous appearance of your hardwood flooring is by refinishing the wood every several years. The refinishing can take some man power and a bit of time to complete, but your wood floors will look much better for much longer after the process is done.
Most wood floors need to be refinished about every 10 years. If you’re home had a previous owner, or if your shopping for a new home with hardwood, ask when the flooring was installed and when it was last refinished. Also keep in mind that the process is going to take a few days, so plan your weekend accordingly.
Here are some tips on how to refinish your hardwood floors:
- Start by clearing away all furniture and thoroughly clean your flooring.
- Close all windows and seal doorways to prevent any dust or debris from entering the room. Also be sure to cover all outlets and lighting fixtures with plastic.
- Sand down the entire surface of your flooring with a drum sander or orbital sander, which you can rent from your local home improvement store. You might need to get the edges and corners by hand, using sandpaper. Be sure to wear proper eye and ventilation protection during this process. Work your way from 20 to 120 grit, covering and cleaning the floor each time before changing the grit.
- Apply polyurethane, varnish or a penetrating sealer to seal the deal. Follow the instructions for the specific type of sealer you choose and be sure to follow the designated wait time in between coats.
- Now, just wait. Allow your flooring proper time to dry and set before moving furniture and foot traffic back into this room.
After all this hard work you can sit back, relax and reap the benefits by having what seems like brand new wood flooring. If all this upkeep sounds exhausting but you still want the appearance of hardwood floors, installing laminate flooring is another option. Today’s laminates are affordable, durable and require little to no maintenance, making them a popular and aesthetically appealing option for homeowners on a budget.
Whatever you choose, CMA flooring in Carrollton, TX can meet your needs. Have questions on what flooring would be best for your home? Need to know how to maintain your floors? Call the flooring experts at 888-262-6552 today!