Building Your Dream Home? Tips for Sensible Upgrades.
When building a new home and working one-on-one with the builder, you have the opportunity to create the home of your dreams, customizing everything from the type of flooring for the kitchen to the stone you’d like to use for the craftsman style countertops in your bathroom. However, with so many choices at so many price points, selecting options and upgrades can easily become overwhelming. Here are a few tips to help you along with the process:
- Consider space for the future. When working with the architect or contractor directly, you can modify the floor plan to best suit your needs. Whether that means larger bedrooms or creating a home office, discuss space concerns early in the planning process. Your builder will be able to make recommendations that meet the current style and designs you have already chosen.
- Skip the tradition. Formal living and dining areas are a thing of the past, with more people preferring to use the space to enlarge areas of the home such as the kitchen or family room. Weigh the pros and cons of having formal living and dining areas and decide whether that square footage would be better used for another purpose.
- Opt for an open floorplan. Explore the possibility of utilizing half walls or islands between living areas and the kitchen instead sectioning off each room of the house. This unique feature allows you to enjoy increased visibility, better lighting and creates a more open and airy feel, making the space appear larger.
- Choose versatile materials. Do you plan on upgrading your home as styles and trends change? If you do, then your contractor or architect can help you choose versatile materials. Hardwood panels and molding are often used for long-term visionary effect. They are a permanent feature throughout the life of the building. Sheetrock and the different qualities and textures available to allow you to paint, wallpaper and alter your styles frequently.
- Pick low-maintenance flooring. As much as you would love to install solid hardwoods throughout your home, you need to be practical with your flooring decision, especially if you have children or are a pet owner. This means choosing flooring that can endure daily wear and tear, now and in the future. Some great options that are luxurious and durable include hand scraped hardwoods, luxury vinyls and ceramic tile flooring in Carrollton.
Choose styles that match your needs while keeping in mind the proper care you can provide to increase its lifelong use in a comfortable, relaxing environment. And if you have questions about certain materials or are planning to do a few DIY upgrades yourself, reach out to CMA Flooring in Carrollton at 972-418-6606. We look forward to hearing from you!